Kanopy is an award-winning streaming network that features over 30,000 documentary and independent films. To access Kanopy’s massive library, you don’t have to pay a monthly charge to your cable operator.
So, you may wonder how to watch classic movies and documentaries?
The straight answer is that Kanopy’s exclusive content is brought to you by your library. Therefore, university students, faculties, and public library members can enjoy the digital content free of cost if they have their library card.
If you use a library card or have university log-in details, you can activate the Kanopy app on your streaming device via kanopy.com/tv.
Things Required to Activate Kanopy
- A Kanopy account.
- Compatible Streaming device or Smart TV. (Roku, Fire TV, Android TV, or Apple TV)
- A second device – Phone, PC, Laptop, or Tablet.
- Wifi internet connection
How to Create a Kanopy Account (For New Users)
- On your phone or PC web browser, visit kanopy.com/signup.
- Select from one of the two options –
- FIND YOUR LIBRARY (For public library cardholders)
- FIND YOUR UNIVERSITY. (For students or professors)
- Then, provide the required information and complete the signup process.
- This is how you can create a new Kanopy account.
How to Link your Kanopy Account with Fire TV via kanopy.com/link?
- From the main menu of your Amazon Fire TV, tap the Find option.
- Under the Find option, enter Kanopy in the search field.
- Once you find the app, tap the Get button to download and install it.
- After installing the app, press the Open button to launch the Kanopy app.
- You will now see two options –
- Get Started – For new users.
- Log In – For returning users.
- Select Log In to enter your email address and password if you already have an account. Otherwise, create an account by choosing the “Get Started” option.
New Users: Create an account
If you have selected Get Started, follow the below steps to create a new Kanopy account –
- Follow the on-screen prompts to generate a code on your TV screen.
- Open a web browser on your computer or phone.
- Visit kanopy.com/tv.
- Enter the code displayed on your TV
- Follow the steps given above under the “How to Create a Kanopy Account” section to create your account.
Existing Users: Link Your Kanopy Account
If you are a returning user and already have a Kanopy account, select Log In. Follow the below steps to link your Kanopy account with Fire TV.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to generate a linking code on your TV screen.
- Open a browser and visit the Kanopy activation page – kanopy.com/link.
- Type your email address & password to log in to your Kanopy account.
- Enter the link code and submit it.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the activation process.
- You can now access the Kanopy app on your Amazon Fire TV.
Steps to Activate Kanopy App on Android TV using kanopy.com/link
- Go to Apps > Google Play Store from your Android TV home screen.
- Search for the Kanopy app and tap the Install button once you find it.
- After successful installation, launch the app.
- Tap the Log In option if you already have an account. (Select Get Started and follow the on-screen prompts to create an account.)
- You will see a link code on your TV screen.
- Copy the code and keep the screen open.
- Now, open a web browser on another device and visit kanopy.com/link.
- Sign in to your Kanopy account.
- Enter the activation code in the prompted field and submit it.
- Your Android TV screen will refresh, and you can now watch your favorite shows on the Kanopy app.
Guide to Access Kanopy App on Apple TV using Linking Code
- Go to the App Store from your Apple TV home menu.
- In the App Store, search for the Kanopy app and install it.
- After installing the app, launch it by tapping the Open option.
- Select Log In to link your existing Kanopy account. (If you don’t have an account, select Get Started to create one.)
- A unique linking code will display on the TV screen.
- Now, open the URL kanopy.com/link on your computer or mobile.
- Enter your email address & password and click LOG IN.
- Enter the activation code in the provided field and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Your Apple TV is now ready to stream the Kanopy app.
How to Link your Kanopy Account on Roku?
- Navigate to Streaming Channels > Search option from your Roku device home screen.
- In the search field, type Kanopy using the virtual keypad.
- Select the app from the search result and tap the Add channel option.
- The app will begin installing on your Roku device.
- After installation, launch the app and select the Log In option.
- If you don’t have a Kanopy account, select the Get Started option to register a new one.
- Next, open a browser on another device and go to kanopy.com/link.
- Log in to your Kanopy account using the sign-in credentials.
- Enter the activation code in the provided field and submit it.
- Then, follow the on-screen prompts to complete the activation process.
- Your Kanopy account is now linked with your Roku device.
Not able to Link Kanpoy Account – Troubleshooting Tips
- Check your internet connection.
- Make sure to update your streaming device.
- Delete the cache of the Kanopy app.
- Reboot your Smart TV or streaming device and then access the app.
- Uninstall the Kanopy app and install it again. The linking process will need to be followed again at kanopy.com/link.
Frequently Asked Questions
– Restart the Kanopy app.
– Check the speed of your internet.
– Clear the cache of the Kanopy app.
– Restart your streaming device.
– If the problem persists, the problem could be with that particular film. In such a case, report the issue to Kanopy at [email protected]
If your video is streaming in poor quality, make sure of the following:
– Your internet connection is working correctly.
– If using a slow-speed internet connection, avoid using multiple devices at the same time to access the internet.
– If you are watching an older film, it might not be available in HD.
You can enable the fullscreen mode by clicking on the full-screen icon located at the lower right corner of the video player.
– Restart your device.
– Clear the app cache.
– Improve your internet connection.
Apple TV: Open the details of a film > go to + button > select the Touch surface.
Roku: Open film’s details > select the + icon below the film synopsis > tap the Touch surface.
Fire TV: Go to film’s preview section > select the + icon > tap the Touch surface.
Android TV: Open the film’s synopsis > tap the + icon > select the Touch surface.